Google+ Followers

Friday, May 18, 2012

nap time

I Substitute at the College Street Children’s Center, I’m sort of a floater there.
 During naptime I somtimes write, draw, or read.



Today I was in the infant room for lunches, and next it was naptime in the older toddlers room. The older toddlers were just finishing their lunches. I helped them clean up assisting the three-year-olds with getting the lids back on their containers and putting them into their lunch boxes, then walking with them over to the refrigerator so they could “feed” the refrigerator their lunch boxes. Then I set about putting out nap mats while Kathy changed diapers.

Once the mats were out and the diapers were changed I sat, or mostly reclined between Elton and Sara, to help them sleep - I got up when they were somewhat settled to turn on the waterfall background sound, and to pull the curtains shut. Then I settled in-between them again. Elton asked me to sing hush little baby and I did for a while. He wiggled and wiggled and asked me to put his blanket on right. I did and told him that if he lay still his blanket wouldn’t get messed up and he laid still. I put my hand on his chest smoothing and patting a little then just keeping still. Sara on the other side of me, played with my shirt, putting her hands inside my sleeve and I decided this was all right. I remember when I was her age I liked my older sister, who slept above me in the bunk bed, to hang her hand down so I could play with her fingers till I fell asleep. She obliged me and it helped me sleep so I was sympathetic with Sara. I put my hand on her shoulder while she put her hands into my sleeve. Both of them fell to sleep rather quickly, Elton first then Sara. The whole room was asleep a half-hour after the nap mats went out.
 
Little squares of sun escaping from behind the curtains. Everyone was sleeping except Marsha (a college work-study student), and me.  She is reading, probably something for a class. Not sure what she is studying- something political, I think, and French. 
 
Sometimes a child moves or even cries out then I go over to them straighten their blankets and rub their back and they go back to sleep. They might not wake up till its time for me to leave at four.
 
Without thinking about the past or the future how can I expand upon the present moment? I was cold so got up to get a sweater. The music has stopped and now there is only the waterfall sound from the noisemaker. I like it better that way.
 
I can feel everyone is getting a little restless now, 3:30, a little more tossing and turning. Sara migrated off her nap mat and I had to put her back on. The children seem to know when there is no one sitting by them, as they get gradually more wakeful. Waking up is often a gradual process. Many times they will lie there and rest open eyed for a good while after they are done sleeping.
 
Charlie is waking now… I found his hat last time his mother came to pick him up and she was looking for it; when I spotted it she said I was awesome. I love using my sharp eye because when a compliment comes that way, I believe it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment